Summary Stat Blocks
Apologies: I am much better with Word than with HTML and I simply cannot get this page to do what I want it to, with indented points and not putting extra space between one line and the next, and that sort of formatting thing… so, I know some of this doesn’t match, but that’s where we are. AMS
For the stat blocks, take what you need to convey the information you’re trying to get across. If a line calls for information you don’t have to add, then just leave that part out.
This is designed for most foes the characters may encounter. Everything from basic people to monsters to animals can be modeled with these blocks. The format is designed to be flexible, based on the animal construction rules (so understanding those will help.) This does not replace the animal building methods and form, but it provides a way to summarize the information to minimize flipping through paper when referring to what is needed for combat or other encounters.
Let’s get to the explanation and examples.
- The name in bold.
- [Base x]. Base has either 1 or 3 numbers. If most of the attributes are the same, then one number can do the job. Or, three numbers, with the base attribute for Physical attributes (first column), Mental attributes (second column), and Social attributes (third column).
- Exception attributes. List attributes that do not match the number in their column, with their higher or lower number.
- Skills. List relevant skills and their ratings. Include specialties for skills in parenthesis after the skill rating.
- Instinct. After putting that title in, list what instincts the creature has.
- Attack.. Put an inset point, then attack.
- Start with (Size: x) and put the weapon size of the attack form.
- List the dice to hit, with any instinct difficulty reduction in parenthesis.
- Name the attack form.
- Put the damage dice, the type, any automatic damage, accuracy damage type if different, and any automatic damage.
- More than one attack can be listed this way.
- AP means Armor Piercing, Agg means Aggravated; other acronyms may apply.
- Put an indent point under this line for any special attacks or consequences of attack, like poison, supernatural effect, and so on. Summarize it as briefly as possible.
- Soak. Put an inset point, then soak.
- Start with [B: x] and L: x if applicable; that’s the base unmodified soak.
- Add [+xx (type)] as many times as needed. Right after each soak number, put whether it is “t” torso, “b” basic, or “f” full. If it has different coverage than that, note that after the entry. No need to note anything if the coverage is complete and can’t be avoided.
- [(B: x, L: x)] Add all the soak types together to one number in parenthesis that the Storyteller can quickly reference.
- Health. x] Add the word “Health” and a number of health levels. Then list out each health level’s health penalty, for quick reference.
- If there are other defensive modifiers, like a difficulty to hit from size or displacement or something, add that quickly here.
- Put an indent point under this line for any special defenses or consequences of defense. Summarize as briefly as possible.
- Put the size of the creature.
- Put “Init: x” for the creature’s initiative.
- Put “Will: x” of the creature, followed by nature if appropriate.
- Put “Run: x” for the creature’s speed, followed by other movement forms if directly relevant.
- Special notes. Note if the creature has another sensory form, or any brief trait that is important to using the creature.
- Put an indent point under this line for any special powers, traits, or other information that is needed to run the creature. Summarize as briefly as possible.
- Equipment. List the weapons, armor, treasure, or anything else the creature has.
- Put an indent point under this line for any special equipment that needs individual summary and description.
Giant Rat. Base 1. Dexterity 3, Perception 3. Instinct. Awareness 1, Combat 1, Stealth 1.
- Attack. (S: 1) 3d bite (1), 3dL AP.
- After bite, Resist—fail, be -1d from fever for 1d10 days. Onset 10 min.
- Soak. B: 1 +1 fur (B: 2, L: 1). Health 3, 0.-1.x (Small, +1 diff to hit.)
- Small. Init: 4. Will 1. Run 12 m. Low light.
Goblin. Base 1. Dexterity 3, Perception 3. Brawl 2, Melee 2 (shortsword), Awareness 2.
- Attack. (S: 2) 6d shortsword, 5d L.
- Soak. B: 1 + 2t leather. (B: 3, L: 2). Health 4, 0.-1.-2.x (Small, +1 diff to hit.)
- Small. Init: 4. Will 2. Bully. Run 12 m. Low light.
- Shortsword, torso leather, 1d10 mehra.
Skeleton. Base 2, 1, 1. Instinct. Awareness 2, Combat 2, Stealth 2.
- Attack. (S: 1) 2d (2) claws, 4d L.
- Soak. B/L: 2. [Hardened, lethal does ½.) (B: 2, L: 2). Health 4, 0.-1.-2.x
- Medium. Init: 3. Will 1. Run 14 m.
Zombie. Base 2, 1, 1. Instinct. Awareness 2, Combat 2, Stealth 2.
- Attack. (S: 2) 2d (2) axe, 7d L.
- Soak. B: 2 +4t chain. [Deadened, +3 B/L]. (B: 9, L: 7) Health 7, 0.-1.-1.-2.-3.-4.x
- Medium. Init: 3. Will 1. Run 14 m.
- Axe (+4/5d), torso chain.
Manticore. Base 3, 2, 1. Brawl 3 (claws), Intimidate 3. Instinct. Aware 1, Combat 3, Move 3, Stealth 1.
- Attack. (S: 2) 7d (3) claws, 5d B, Acc +3d L AP. Wings. (S: 2) added, counts as trained ally. 5d B.
- Tail. (S: 2) 3d (3) fling spikes, up to 24. Up to 6 at a time, +1d per spike after the first. 5d L. +1 difficulty to hit with ranged tail attack.
- Tail slap. (S:2) 7d (3) tail, 5d L and Acc L. +2 difficulty to attack with tail in close combat.
- Soak. B: 3, +2 B/L hide. (B: 5, L: 2). Health 8, 0.0.-1.-1.-2.-3.-4.x
- Large. Init: 4. Will 3. Run/swim 21 m. Fly 38 m. Low light.